Chesapeake & Ohio in Cincinnati Vol. 2
By Dr. Wendell H. McChord
The C&O’s mainline has always been shown as Washington-Cincinnati after 1889. Even before that, Cincinnati was the western terminal, gained first by Ohio steamboat from Huntington, W. Va., and later via other railroads through Kentucky until 1889 when its own Cincinnati Division was completed, running along the south bank of the Ohio River. At Cincinnati, C&O connected with many other railroads and opened a large through traffic. In 1910, it acquired the Chicago, Cincinnati & Louisville Railroad and thus obtained a line that ran from Cincinnati to the Chicago gateway. Subsequently, Cincinnati became a hub for C&O’s passenger traffic during its peak year through the first half of the 20th Century. Its freight business was handled by yards outside the city, but the city itself has always loomed large in the life of the C&O. This book explores the relationship of C&O and the Queen City of the West.
This is the 4th book in the 2015 C&O Railway Series & is due to ship around the early 2016. To subscribe and get all 4 for 2015, go to BK-14-787. At $70.00 for the year you will save about 40% on the books. If ordered separately they are $24.95 + shipping each (minus member discount).