N Scale Rebuilt War Emergency 2-Bay Hoppers
What has been called C&O's "War Emergency" Hoppers were composite cars with side sheets of wood so that steel could be saved for war materiel. C&O had 6,000 of these twin-bay 50-ton cars built as follows:
53000-54249 by Pullman-Standard in 1943
5425-55379 by General American Transportation Co. in 1943
55380-55999 by American Car & Foundry Co in 1944.
Beginning in 1953 the wooden sides and slope sheets were replaced gradually with Cor-Ten steel. However the outside bracing was retained, so at a distance the cars looked very similar. This slightly increased the cubic capacity. The last of the cars were converted in 1956. The last of the converted cars were not retired until1986 so they could be seen in C&O trains all the way from 1943 until 1985, though in two different paint schemes (the "FOR PROGRESS herald added during rebuilds after 1954).
For reference go to the C&OHS-published book Chesapeake & Ohio Freight Cars 1937-1946 , available on chessiesop.com as BK-12-718.
Chesapeake & Ohio began rebuilding their fleet of 3,000 War Emergency hoppers in 1952 with the bulk of the fleet converted by the end of 1954. The rebuilding brought a new paint scheme with the stacked name and the first edition of the C&O For Progress logo (in this case, special stencils were made to dodge the diagonal rib). These ready-to-run cars feature die cast slope sheet-hopper bay-center sill assembly; injection molded plastic sides, ends, and hopper doors; fully molded brake tank, valve and air lines; body mounted brake hose detail; load; body mounted magnetically operating knuckle couplers; close coupling; and Fox Valley Models metal wheels. From Bluford Shops.
Pre-Orders remain open. Expected delivery is late summer/early fall 2021.
Six road numbers available: 54349; 55051; 54607; 55228; 54983; 54760
This product will be in stock on Thursday 30 September, 2021.