Combination Car Sides, C&O Wooden (composite wood/steel) Car Series 413-420, HO Scale by Shapeways
3-D printed accurate sides for use in building an accurate C&O (ex-Hocking Valley) wood/steel composite combination (combine) car from 413-420 series.
The cars were built as coaches for Hocking Valley in 1911. They were part of the transition from wooden to steel cars. The composite cars had steel end posts and underframes but wooden bodies.
This group of cars came to C&O with the HV merger in 1930, and were converted to combination cars in 1935-38, mainly for use on branch line trains. They became largely surplus when most branch trains were discontinued in 1949-50.
No. 418 was the regular on the Lexington (Va.) branch mixed train until it was discontinued in 1954. They were all retired and scrapped in 1955.
This is a car that could be seen on branch trains in Va., W. Va. and Ky. in the late 1940s and early 1950s, and, of course, also could be seen sitting at mainline yards/stations where branch trains terminated. It is useful for modeling right up to the early 1950s, still painted green with gold lettering, an ideal wooden car in the streamlined era!
The car sides are 3-D printed from drawings and photos in the C&OHS collection and are the first accurate designs available. Modelers can use “donor” parts from kits made by Bethlehem Car Works, Walthers, Athearn, and others.